Route 298... Route 298 is a suburban north east London route running between Arnos Grove and Potters Bar via Cockfosters. Route 298 has a long history dating back to the 7th September 1968. It has mainly been operated by Arriva throughout its whole life. But this trend seemed to end on the 4th February 2012, when Route 298 was transferred from Arriva London (WN) to Sullivan Buses (SM). This was infact Sullivan Buses third London Contract. They seemed to be very pleased and looked like they were running it well although I'd advise more driver training!!
AE12/DS61SUL seen at Arnos Grove- Route 298
Features of the new E200's For Route 298
Route 298 was awarded with 5 new Enviro200's built to the ECWVTA Specification. They feature:
-10.2 Length Body
-Lazzerini seats
-Generic Sillivan Buses moquette
-weigh UW 7507 KGS which makes it one of the lightest E200's in London
-Euro 5 Cummins ISBe Engine with a Alison Gearbox and have a horsepower of 140
-Contains 29 seats
AE12/DS61SUL seen at Potters Bar Station-Route 298
Interior of AE12/DS61SUL
AE16/SB61SUL seen at Potters Bar Station -Route 298
Sullivan Buses Generic Moquette on the E200's for Rt 298
Strange Blinds on the E200's for the 298. Heres a video of them changing. This is AE16 at Potters Bar
For those with the disappointment of not seeing a Double Decker on the route Well, I am pleased to tell many of you with the disappointment of never seeing a Double deck on the route that it may even happen from September 2012 onwards, as SB are gaining quite a few school routes what require Double Decks and they may intermix onto the 298. Good News hey?
Other Shots From the day
Whilst out, I managed to stop at Enfield Garage and get some shots of the new T's for Rt 279. Here is what I saw at E today. Sorry for the quality of some shots. It was just where the T's were parked it was hard to get a good shot.
T230/ LJ61CGE stored at E
T224/LJ61CFP seen at Enfield Garage
DLA23/S237JUA seen at Enfield Garage
DLA37/S237JUA seen at Enfield Garage
I also managed to get shots of buses as the snow started to fall in places such as Tottenham, Oxford St and Trafalgar Sq.
E172/SN61BHD seen at Oxford Circus- Route 453
WVL11/LG02KHJ seen at Oxford Circus
A bus stop in Regent Street during the snow
HV18/LJ60AVM seen at Tottenham, Town Hall- Route 76
Well that is wrong because as I've said before the 298 is not the first London contract they've had because they have had routes 383 and 606 in the past. I wonder why SB would say that the 298 is there first London contract?
The route number is deliberately duplicated to reduce fading. As these buses are route-bound, the number would be on display most of the time and thus fade quickly. By using two and changing them with the destination this lengthens the blind's life.
Now that power blinds are compulsory I believe a number of operators are using this approach.
I can confirm we did indeed run two TfL contracts. And we are quite proud of that fact! I think the web site is implying that the first new bus has (or had) been delivered for route 298 under our stewardship. So perhaps the wording is a bit ambiguous.
Obviously this week has been a bit of a baptism of fire. Firstly starting the service with temperatures of Minus 4 on Saturday and then ending the day in snow blizzard! We had trained all the staff (and some had prior TfL equipment knowledge) but there was a lot to take in and without a real route to practice on (the buses were only finally commissioned 12hrs before we went live), meant that some drivers were unfamiliar with all the new equipment fitted to the vehicles.
I think from observations this had ironed itself out by Sunday. And customer comments have been very encouraging.
But thanks for coming out in the cold and trying the service, and of course your comments.
Okay thanks Dean, your comments are greatly appreciated and I am actually pleased to see that you have viewed my blog! Great company you have there lets hope you get more London contracts
We welcome your feedback, as it gives us the opportunity to make changes that will bring about an improved posts. However, if you misuse this facility, we will be forced to contact your Internet Service Provider, so be careful!
The 298 is not the first London contract that Sullivan Buses have ever had. Sullivan Buses has operated London Bus routes 383 and 606 in the past.
ReplyDeleteOkay thanks, according to SB it is their first mate
DeleteWell that is wrong because as I've said before the 298 is not the first London contract they've had because they have had routes 383 and 606 in the past. I wonder why SB would say that the 298 is there first London contract?
ReplyDeleteGreat post mate, do you know the outcome of the H28 tender?
ReplyDeleteThe H28 isnt up for tender until about May
ReplyDeleteOk thanks, hope Abellio don't get it again! They never stick to their timetable!
DeleteI will edit it C0BO as many are agreeing with you. I also question why SB are saying this too
ReplyDeleteThe route number is deliberately duplicated to reduce fading. As these buses are route-bound, the number would be on display most of the time and thus fade quickly. By using two and changing them with the destination this lengthens the blind's life.
ReplyDeleteNow that power blinds are compulsory I believe a number of operators are using this approach.
I can confirm we did indeed run two TfL contracts. And we are quite proud of that fact! I think the web site is implying that the first new bus has (or had) been delivered for route 298 under our stewardship. So perhaps the wording is a bit ambiguous.
ReplyDeleteObviously this week has been a bit of a baptism of fire. Firstly starting the service with temperatures of Minus 4 on Saturday and then ending the day in snow blizzard! We had trained all the staff (and some had prior TfL equipment knowledge) but there was a lot to take in and without a real route to practice on (the buses were only finally commissioned 12hrs before we went live), meant that some drivers were unfamiliar with all the new equipment fitted to the vehicles.
I think from observations this had ironed itself out by Sunday. And customer comments have been very encouraging.
But thanks for coming out in the cold and trying the service, and of course your comments.
Dean
Dean, your comapany is my favourite London bus operater :)
ReplyDeleteOkay thanks Dean, your comments are greatly appreciated and I am actually pleased to see that you have viewed my blog! Great company you have there lets hope you get more London contracts
ReplyDeletedoes anybody know the outcome of the 256 tender?
ReplyDelete256 are awarded to Stagecoach London with 10 new single decks plus a 1 double Decker from route 252 Form 28 September 2013.
Delete